Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Altering my Food State of Mind

I have recently decided that my main problem when it comes to Health is that I have been pre-conditioned to adopt certain habits due to the culture and society I was brought up in. As an aspiring Anthropologist I like to research other cultures, and recently I have discovered many habits and ways of life that have kept me from reaching new levels of Wellness.

I recall my experience in Ghana, Africa. During the month that I was there, I slimmed down, was full of Energy, and felt a sense of well-being, even though I had other bad habits at the time, such as smoking and drinking. My diet consisted of white rice and doughs made from the Cassava plant. I ate an abundance of vegetables such as tomato, yam, and onion, and I rarely ate meat except for Goat and chicken on a few occasions. I also had eggs almost every day. I did not eat sugar or sweets, because they were unavailable. My last full day there, I made homemade peanut brittle, which consisted of raw peanuts and a bit of sugar. It took us hours to make it, and the result was amazing.

Much of what I learned stuck with me, such as the realization of the horror of fast food, which I try to refrain from, and the importance of learning to cook. However not a day goes by that I do not crave chocolate and cheese and pasta. However for months after I returned I had no desire to consume those things.

We are a product of our environment, and we can become addicted to certain foods if we feel dependent on them.

In Ghana I also walked (hiked) every single day, and used my body to do daily tasks such as carry water on my head, carry bricks to help build a house, grind food, and try to keep my ass from touching the ground as I squat to pee in the bush.

The people in Ghana are sculpted to perfection, with strong muscles and little body fat. As humans we are meant to work for our food and use our bodies to survive. I have lived my life in a society revolved around convenience and speed, where exercise is looked upon with disgust and the purpose of food is pleasure.

At this point, instead of counting calories, planning diets, and obsessing over the "correct" way to live, I am going to re-evaluate my lifestyle in general, and figure out what part of my life is pre-conditioned and work on changing that.

I was mostly inspired by the following article, which outlines "secrets" from around the world in regards to living healthy.


http://shine.yahoo.com/event/autumninnewjeans/8-weight-loss-secrets-from-around-the-world-518978/

***Update: Awesome Web Site "French Women Don't get Fat."


The two tips that stuck out the most to me, were as follows:

1. Stop eating before you're full.
2. When you're eating, just eat.

Why do I feel so obligated to finish my food, or grub on a particularly amazing dish as if it is the last meal I will ever have? I LOVE food, but maybe I would take more pleasure in it (and be healthier) if I paid attention to the process of consuming my "fuel" and recognize when my body does not need any more.

Eating is an inconvenience that must be done as I partake in other activities. I want to get rid of this attitude and designate time for eating and make it a pleasurable event.

I encourage you to take a look at the article and do your own research. Perhaps you have habits you need to modify. If you got it handled and are already on top of your game, please feel free to provide some insight.

I shall keep you updated!

2 comments:

  1. Great post and interesting link. I was doing so well with my diet and exercise to start the year, but then fell off the wagon - gaining back almost all I'd lost (36 lbs). Since the 1st of October I've been back at it, this time focusing on tracking my calories, and it has done me wonders. Dropping about .68 lbs a day on average. The right foods - vegetables not chocolates - and daily exercise make all the difference. I feel stronger and healthier. It is all just a state of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dark Jedi, I have a brother in-law whom I love dearly. He's 68 and weighs around 350 LB. His entire life has been up and down with respect to body weight. He was a truck driver and in the old days trying to stay awake, he ate diet pills. I told him the body has a mind of its own. You starve it, it will store what you eat just in case of hard times. Now he's in real trouble, his knees are giving out.
    My father never gained or lost but a few pounds in his 90 years. He stopped eating before he was full. He said it took 15 minutes for the stomach to tell the brain it was full. I love your post. Please visit my blog. Best, John
    http://www.atkinsontimekeeper.com/

    ReplyDelete