Thursday, July 16, 2009

How to be Human


When 2009 began, I decided that this year I would be the healthiest person I can be. Excited, I began researching, reading, and subscribing to relevant blogs. I became obsessed with FitTV for a while, purchased DVDs and books, and familiarized myself with the Farmer’s Market and Trader Joes.

What I discovered, is that the more I find out, the more confused I am! I feel like I have been fed so much bullshit, and I must peel through layers and layers of information to find the Truth.

I have reached a point where I am much healthier than last year, but still utterly confused on what type of lifestyle I should be living.

Dogs know that they can eat grass to ease an upset stomach. Animals seem to know exactly what they need to live. Yet Humans have no clue.

The mass majority consume high fructose corn syrup, fast food, and soda. Most people do not move their body enough. Okay, so we got that part down. Move more and don’t eat crap. I can dig that.

What are humans supposed to eat? I became obsessed with learning about vegan and raw food diets and their reasoning made so much sense to me. Eat simple and living foods from the earth. More drastic: don’t cook the food to preserve it’s living qualities. It sounds like a lovely diet. But don’t we need protein? Are we not at the top of the food chain? We possess canines which are meant to eat meat. Am I wrong? According to people who swear by low-carb diets, meat is a staple. So are they less healthy then Vegans or raw foodists? So carbs are bad. Yet in Italy pasta and carbs are a staple in their diet. They also use dairy often which is big no-no according to those with plant based diets. People from all of these different diet lifestyles have claimed to lose weight. But which way is the correct way? How were humans meant to eat to fuel the healthiest and best working machine (body) possible? Does anyone really need to stress about what type of lifestyle to lead, or does it all just come down to moderation?

What about Super foods? How often should you eat them? Can someone please outline the perfect diet for the human body which includes the right dosage of super foods?

Next matter of confusion: Exercise. Jillian Michaels from the Biggest loser says its all about cardio. Make sure you do lots of cardio. I subscribe to her newsletter so I know this. Now I am reading Jim Karas, the author of “Cardio-free diet.” According to him cardio is useless and depletes muscle. He says you have to do straight up strength training, and that’s it. After reading his book I felt completely convinced that I needed to buckle down and do pushups and lunges, rather than concern myself with aerobic exercise. Lame, I just bought Hip Hop Abs off Amazon. Did I waste my money? I break a good sweat AND I get to shake my booty to some wicked beats. Should I use that time to lift weights instead? Is that more efficient and healthy?

Many may say I am over thinking and overanalyzing. Really though, I just want to know once and for all what is the way a human is supposed to live. I lost most of my weight in Ghana on a diet of rice, vegetables, and eggs. I walked everywhere and used my body and strength often. I feel like our minds have been too cluttered with information and perhaps we should look at the way more primitive people live to determine how to eat.

I guess I am just looking for answers. There are millions of diet books, DVDS, and work-out classes, but I want to live as naturally and healthy as possible while keeping a pleasurable life. I would much rather bike or hike than run on a treadmill like a hamster. I tried many times to cut the meat out but could never understand why I was doing it. I suppose what it all comes down to eating less and moving more. One day I will find out the Truth at least for myself and my body.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't disagree more on the point that "cardio is a waste of time."

    I heard of a man who did nothing but strength training who ended up looking fantastic but feeling like complete and utter ass.
    He started a cardio regimen and a few weeks in he felt better than ever.
    Point is this - it's not about one or the other, it's a balance of the two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment. Balance is key, I agree.

    ReplyDelete