Monday, February 22, 2010

Why I am Polyamorous


I found a great forum where people can discuss Polyamory and it's various components, aspects, high points, and low points.

Check it out here: Polyamorous Percolations.

Polyamory is the belief that the human heart can love many. I am an unsuccessful polyamorist currently, but refuse to succumb to Monogamy due to my conviction that I will one day create my ideal life, and have unlimited amounts of affection and intimacy with a variety of wonderful people.

I am open about my beliefs and my feelings toward the subject. Although I have not yet had a relationship of my own, I have seen the happiness and joy Polyamory brings to those I love and those interesting characters I have encountered.

I feel that Monogamy is for some people, but certainly not for me, and not for many others out there. A great deal of people can not even fathom the idea of polyamory, because we have it so ingrained in our heads from a young age that boys and girls grow up, get married, raise a children, get divorced, then do it all over again. If the idea was more prominent in our society, many more people would choose to live their lives that way without guilt, jealousy, and insecurity.

This is why I am so open about my beliefs. I do not wish to bash monogamy and convince everyone that they will always be miserable if they glorify monogamy.

1. Monogamy does not seem realistic for most people that I have encountered. This is easily portrayed by the abundance of grief, infidelity, and problems that surround nearly every relationship I see. Granted, I do not know a whole lot of people, but I also do not know hardly Anyone at all that is in a loving and comfortable relationship. Some people appear to be in a loving relationship, and act like they are, but they are still cheating on each other.

Perhaps many of you reading this are in fantastic monogamous relationships. I would love to hear from you. Be honest, do not lie to yourself because you are afraid of what your true feelings are. Most importantly, do you believe this will realistically last? If you were to someday meet another person as glorious and wonderful as your current partner, what would you do then? Sacrifice a magical connection for monogamy?

2. I was lucky enough to grow up with 2 parents who are to this day in love. So with such a great model of a happy marriage, why is it that I am so vehemently opposed to Monogamy in my own life? It is not for me! Simple. Humans are complex creatures. This is why we have so many different cultures, lifestyles, and subcultures. What makes it different when it comes to Love? Some can love one, and some can love many.

3. What do I know about relationships? After all, I have never had one. This is a common statement I receive.

What does anyone really know about relationships? I may have been single for most of my life, but I refuse to settle, and I refuse to commit to someone who is closed off to the idea of Polyamory. A man who can not be open to this idea and to the possibilities of living different ways, is certainly not the man for me.

I know what I want, and I will not settle for less. I feel that with this one life I have to live, I should be able to live it how I want to, or not at all. If you read between the lines there, I am basically stating that I would rather die then ever get myself into a monogamous marriage and be forced to live by life that way. However, since we live in a society where rules can be broken, social norms can be demolished, and people are free to let their freak flag fly, then I will not be committing suicide anytime soon. Instead, I will patiently await for my Utopian ideals to materialize.

Or grow to be an old hag with just a lot of lovers and nothing more.

Its all good.



Here is another lady that feels the same way, so you all don't think I am the only crazy preaching about Polyamory.

Why Polyamory Works for Me

1 comment:

  1. It seems that scientific studies and historical study show that the human is capable of polyamory in societies that are open to the idea.

    I have seen studies that show that humans are for the most part designed for polyamory or at least serial monogamy by biological evolution.

    Recently there was a study that did show that the more intelligent the male the more likely they are to be monogamous a biological anomaly (the more intelligent are more likely to try or be attracted to "non-standard" survival techniques - the precursor to evolutionary change).

    Good luck, find happiness (or at least try).

    ReplyDelete