Monday, May 4, 2009

Newly discovered subcultures to check out, going Undercover

Zombie fighters

Live Action Role Play

Real life Super Heroes

Trekkies (Nothing new, but I just decided to explore)

Urban Spelunking

Free Runners

-------

I have my work cut out for me, but a very interesting life ahead of me indeed.

------

Why do I believe I can accomplish a great project or book about Subculture? What makes me feel I can do better than those out there? Well I still have a lot of reading and checking out to do. I went on Amazon and I took a look at the following books, and then I found reasons why mine will be awesome and more appealing. This is based on description and reviews, but I still need to read them. Here are a few:

Subculture: The Meaning of Style, 2nd Edition New Accents Library (The New Accent) (Hardcover)

by DICK HEBDIGE

----This book appears to be focusing on style and fashion. The author bases his knowledge on history and observation.

I will look at subculture from a participant point of view, and actually experience the life of those involved. Rather than focusing on fashion, i will focus on the human aspect, and what draws people to their world of choice

Subculture: The Meaning of Style (New Accents) (Paperback)

by Dick Hebdige


-----Appears to contain insightful and intelligent content, but focuses on Post war subculture, mostly related to music. I will be exploring subcultures that are rarely heard of, many of which have little to do with music or war.

Inside Subculture: The Postmodern Meaning of Style (Dress, Body, Culture) (Paperback)

by David Muggleton


---Focuses on Style and is written "almost exclusively for specialists in the field."This is also a book whose arguments are built off those in the above book by Dick Hebdige.


After Subculture: Critical Studies in Contemporary Youth Culture (Paperback)

by Andy Bennett (


---Appears to be a short book, only 256 pages. How in depth can you get with 256 pages? Looks to be just an overview.


Subculture: The Fragmentation of the Social (Paperback)

by Professor Chris Jenks


---This book looks very insightful and in-depth, with extensive analysis pertaining to history and philosophy. This book looks truly interesting, but the author is again writing as an outsider, not as an insider. Very scholarly and great for academic purposes.

The Call of the Weird: Travels in American Subcultures (Hardcover)

by Louis Theroux (Author)


----This book looks great and I love how the author actually interviews and hangs out with his "subjects." He appears to have a fantastic and ironic sense of humor, and he includes quotes and personal experience. Also, he explores a variety of subcultures, some of which are not well known at all. I like the following quote and conclusion: "On the list of qualities necessary to humans trying to make out way through life, truth scores fairly low...in the end, feeling alive is more important than telling the truth....We are instruments for feeling, faith, energy, emotion, significance, belief, but not really truth."


Embracing the Darkness; Understanding Dark Subcultures (Paperback)

by Corvis Nocturnum


--This one is definitely more of what I am going for. The author is a "dark" member of society who explores his world with the kind of curiosity, seeker of truth type of mindset that intrigues me. This book only focuses on Dark subculture.


---------------------


Again, I have not read these books yet. I have a long journey ahead of me. Even if no book or work comes out of this, I will still have lived a life walking many different paths. I will still have met interesting people, and I would still have a great repertoire on humanity and the many facets of our world and culture.

Most...almost ALL people who I talk to do not understand what it is I am trying to accomplish. Perhaps I am not even clear.

I am a studyer of Anthropology. An Anthropologist is a direct participant in the cultures they study. They learn from those they observe, and they actively immerse themselves in the culture to which they have commited themselves to. The above authors have not done this. I will.

I will become friends with these people. I will participate in their rituals or ceremonies or activities. I will use their slang and terminology. I will dress as a medievel night and live action role play. I will donate my blood to vampires and watch Star Trek marathons if I have to. I will prepare for zombie battles and explore abandoned buildings.

When you observe people from the outside, your knowledge is limited. You will only hear or know what they want you to know. When you are ONE with them, when they trust and relate to you, that is when you really find out what its all about.

Its the same as undercover cops. You do not really know what is going on until you are a participant in the action.

I will be going undercover, and I will share my experiences with the world and hopefully spread a deeper appreciation for the diverse and varied interests and desires of humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment